|Type:||Villages and city of art|
|Location:||Riviera del Conero and province of Ancona|
What to see in Agugliano:
Surely you must visit Castel D’Emilio, the small hamlet of Agugliano. The origin of the Castle and its walls that surround the historic centre is very ancient, consider that Castel D’Emilio is mentioned in the parchment of the Bavaro Code (dated October 2, 968). Over the years it has undergone significant renovations, one of the most important was the work of the architect of Florence, Baccio Pontelli who re-made the entrance door of the town and part of the walls that formed an irregular polygon. Throughout history, Castel D’Emilio became a municipality during the Napoleonic era, then a hamlet of Agugliano with the Unification of Italy.
The church and the convent of San Francesco
These two structures that you find in Agugliano are amazing. They were built in the beginning of 1100. According to tradition, the name derives from the fact that the Saint Francis stayed there with the intent to devote himself to the sick monks. Reason why it became a residence, thanks to the assent of the Abbot of Chiaravalle, of the Franciscans. Several times renovated inside, in the church were placed two paintings of two fundamental exponents of the Renaissance: Olivuccio di Ciccarello and Nicola di Maestro Antonio. The church was rebuilt towards the end of the eighteenth century and the architect Francesco Maria Ciaraffoni from Ancona (one of the students of Vanvitelli) took care of it. The church suffered the repression of the Napoleonic and so was stripped of its most precious assets including the remains of the blessed Filippo (who returned in 1821 in the convent and that were taken again in 1960 by the Friars Minor). A second attack was when the Savoy in 1866 decreed the order of a new suppression of religious orders.
Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie
Its construction should date back to the beginning of the fifteenth century. The rose window and the brick portal are astonishing and helps us to understand the epoque when the church was built. The bell tower, which has undergone significant renovations, has a bell from 1520. The church is located in Castel D’Emilio.
Church of Santa Maria in Nazareth
It is a parish church and dates back to the early 1300s. Inside you can find a beautiful painting depicting the Madonna near the Holy House supported by angels. Superb is the symbolism of the characters that appear in the painting: the dog, symbol of loyalty, the torch, symbol of spreading the message of Christianity; Saint Pius V, the Pope under whom considerable restructuring of the Church was carried out.
Church of the SS. Sacrament
The patron saint of Agugliano is Sant’Anastasio and every year his holiday is celebrated here, in the church that dates back to the end of the 16th century. You can admire the emblem of the country the “guglia” and the fantastic artistic works such as the painting depicting the village in the early twentieth century and the painting behind the altar that depicts the Virgin Mary. Inside are the remains of Cardinal Antonio Vico, born in the country, who carried out missions in many countries (European and Latin American) in the early twentieth century. Others are the paintings that you can find inside the church, one of the most important is that attributed to Francesco Peruzzini, an Ancona painter, who depicts Sant’Anastasio, the Madonna and Sant’Antonio da Padova.
Church of Sant’Anna (Borgo Ruffini)
It was built around the 16th century and was owned by the Ruffini marquises, merchants from Brescia. With the death of Giovanni Ruffini, which took place on 29 December 1824, it became the property of the municipality.
It was inaugurated around 1924 and was the work of the sculptor Vladimiro Giaccaglia.
Where to sleep in Agugliano: Farmhouses, Country House, Bed and Breakfast (choose the recommended structure in the left column)
What to taste in Agugliano: Artisan ice cream
Distance from the sea: 28 Km
How to get to Agugliano by car: From the North: Take the A14 motorway in the direction of Ancona, exit at Ancona Nord, turn onto the SP 34, cross Grancetta, Camerata Picena and follow directions for Agugliano.
From the South: Take the A14 motorway, exit at Ancona Sud / Osimo, continue on the SS 16, cross Ancona, Casine and continue towards Agugliano.
How to get to Agugliano by train / bus: The bus service is managed by the company Conerobus (company for inter-municipal mobility).
How to get to Agugliano by plane: Ancona-Falconara Airport 10 Km from Agugliano.
For families with children and strollers it is possible to visit the city on foot.
The city is accessible to disabled people.
Agugliano Tourist Information Office
Via Nazario Sauro, 1, 60020 Agugliano (AN)
Tel. +39 (0) 719090325, 71908837, 71906102
WHAT TO KNOW ABOUT AGUGLIANO …
Agugliano is considered the queen of the Terra dei Castelli, a medieval village in the Marche near the Conero Riviera. In fact, just behind the famous Riviera del Conero, on the hills surrounding Ancona, there is an ancient land called Terra dei Castelli, this land was a strategic defence for Ancona from the attack of enemies.
Agugliano was one of these countries with defensive purposes for the capital of the Marches.
Agugliano is a reality that recalls historical and cultural traditions of this fascinating area and also presents gastronomic specialties for tourists who are attentive to good food.
Agugliano and its small hamlet of Castel d’Emilio are centers adjacent to the Riviera del Conero of ancient origin.
In Agugliano it is still possible to notice the ancient medieval walls, in particular in Castel d’Emilio the entrance is still preserved today with the carriage door enriched with merlons and loopholes typical of the medieval period.
In Agugliano you can visit the Church of the SS. Sacramento, where the patron saint is celebrated as a tradition, inside it strikes the extraordinary beauty of a painting on canvas by Peruzzini.
Walking through the center of Agugliano there is the ancient Church of S. Maria di Nazareth where there is an inscription of marble that recalls its construction occurred in 1304. There is an important interior of the Church of S. Maria di Nazareth di Agugliano where it is possible to admire a painting dating back to 1600 dedicated to the Translation of the Holy House.
The architecture of Aguliano immerses its tourists in an ancient atmosphere that welcomes modernity in the many events organized especially in summer: the Gelato Artigianale Festival is famous, which has managed to reach even fifteen thousand appearances at the first edition. The ice cream produced in Agugliano is delicious!
Then his beer festival is celebrated in July, able to recall the presence of many vacationers on the Conero Riviera. Agugliano during the winter month, when it is wrapped and surrounded by snow, becomes the scene of a wonderful picture postcard representation of the Marche.